Saturday, August 9, 2008

Kids and Cameras--What a Combo!

Here's a new book Snap Is the New Sound of Learning about using cameras in the classroom with primary school kids. Just what I need for my project, and lots of new learning projects as well.

Pat Barrett Dragan, the author, is a thirty -year veteran of primary classrooms, and has other great books on teaching English language learners, developing literacy, and more. A great mentor.

One idea from her book about teaching first grade is to have a first-day alphabet walk. She puts magnetic letters on the board, but some are missing. (The kids look for b by the bathroom, and are introduced to the custodian who clues them into taking care of themselves and the bathroom.) Sounds like a great plan for our first day, one that fits into our year's ABC project. A book she uses is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I'm going to also use The Letters Are Lost!

(and while I'm on the subject of books, she suggests retelling Hickory to help develop a classroom community of caring, and The Alphabet Tree by Leo Lionni, which shows how letters cooperate to make words.)

2 comments:

Lala said...

You too, are a great mentor! I'm privledged to have you as a colleague. I am curious to read the books you mentioned in this post. Did you ever locate the digital cameras?

Lala said...

PS Thank you for your comments on my blog.